Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter Series, Book Twelve): Sherrilyn Kenyon UPDATED

Back to Sherrilyn Kenyon!  I forgot how much I loved Valerius (you can see the similarities between this review and my original one HERE).  We get a small taste of him in Talon and Sunshine's story, a (rather biased) glimpse of him in Zarek and Astrid's story, and a very good view into his character as he makes a supporting appearance in Vane and Bride's story.  He was haughty and obnoxious in the first two, but Bride's perceptiveness opens up a whole new side of him to the readers.  One which is beautifully developed in this book.  Kenyon (as I've stated on numerous occasions) has the most wonderful talent for writing dark, twisty, tormented, complex characters.  Valerius, while seemingly shallow at first glance, is exactly this.  We, like the characters in the books, meet him with an engrained prejudice.  We already have loyalty to Kyrian and our hearts have bled for Zarek.  It is amazing how quickly and deeply we fall for Val (because I can say with some certainty that I am not the only one who has felt this way).

I did go into this reading concerned about how I would like Tabitha.  She (as she professes to be) is a lot to handle.  I was a touch concerned that she would be too over-the-top for my tastes, but (as Ash knew she would be) is the perfect foil for Val.  She brings out the best in him, she knows how to help him heal.  He, on the other hand, is what she needs.  He allows her to be herself, but she (somewhat) mellows her outing keeps her safe.  I really enjoyed their story, overall.

Additionally, it was nice to see SO many familiar faces:  Kyrian, Julian, Talon, Nick, Vane, Otto, Zarek, even some familiar villains.  This was a very busy, action-packed book, which made for some volatile, cringe-worthy, heart-breaking moments.  I cannot believe how much Kenyon crammed into this one book!  Having read this one before, I knew what was coming and I still got choked up.  I won't give anything away (because that would be a real crime against this story), but be prepared for irreparable changes to take place!  Some of your favorite characters will never be the same...  You also clues to some of the secrets other characters have been carefully concealing.

This was a complex, exciting, excellent read.  Kenyon has worked her magic again and really brought her Dark-Hunter New Orleans to life.

No comments: