Saturday, May 12, 2018

Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove: Book Four): Tessa Dare (UPDATED)


This is now the second iteration of my updated review of this book.  The organizer in me hated the fact that I wasn't getting "credit" for re-reading this book in my post tally because I'd originally just tacked on my updated review to the original post from 12/28/2013.  The updated review was added 02/10/2018, so I'm not going to get credit for it in my February posts, but at least I'll get credit for it in my 2018 posts.  The original review can be found HERE.  Below, you will find the updated review from my reading in February.  Enjoy!

I thought I'd continue with my Tessa Dare reading and re-read the very first book I'd read by her (especially because Griff and Pauline made an appearance in another short story I recently read.  I enjoyed this book just as much - if not more - this time around.  I still found the interactions between Griff and his mother to be excellent.  They're a fun and witty duo.  While moments are a bit silly and absurd, I think this is one of Dare's most poignant and moving stories.  Pauline has had a rough life, to say the least.  Griff certainly takes the cake for most-reformed rake and, I also feel, for one to he most moving and tragic backstories in all of Dare's books.  Dare has a knack for making you truly care about her characters, but I don't think there's been a story quite so gut wrenching.  Pauline is still a great female lead.  I really enjoy her spunk and tenacity.  While I found the blossoming romance between Griff and Pauline to be well-written, enthralling, and believable, I still found the overarching plot (i.e. Griff's mother's plotting and scheming) a bit far-fetched.  I suppose the premise of the entire series (Spindle Cove) is a little "out there," so maybe I'm not being fair or I'm a bit hypercritical.  Regardless, I continue to be enthralled by Dare's writing style, her amazing characters, creative and imaginative stories, and extremely passionate romance.  This book - as it also brought back some other memorable characters - has made me curious to re-read others in the series  I think this continuing desire to to re-read Dare's works truly speaks volumes about just what a spectacular author I believe her to be.  I never re-read books...though it would seem Dare is changing my ways.  In general, I think this book fit in very will with this series.  It's another great work by Dare and I certainly recommend it as a part of this lovely, whimsical series (just be sure to read the series in proper order!).  Happy reading!

No comments: