Monday, August 13, 2018

The Broken Girls: Simone St. James

"Vermont, 1950.  There's a place for the girls whom no one wants--the troublemakers, the illegitimate, the too smart for their own good.  It's called Idlewild Hall.  And in the small town where it's located, there are rumors that the boarding school is haunted.  Four roommates bond over their whispered fears, their budding friendship blossoming--until one of them mysteriously disappears....



"Vermont, 2014.  As much as she's tried, Fiona Sheridan cannot stop revisiting the events surrounding her elder sister's death.  Twenty years ago, her body was found dumped in the overgrown fields near the ruins of Idlewild Hall.  And though her sister's boyfriend was tried and convicted of murder, Fiona can't shake the suspicion that something was never right about the case.




"When Fiona discovers that Idlewild Hall is being restored by an anonymous benefactor, she decides to write a story about it.  But a shocking discovery during the renovations will link the loss of her sister to secrets that were meant to stay hidden in the past--and a voice that won't be silenced...."


I thought I would change things up a bit with this book.  And BOY DID I!  I pulled this reading choice from a list I pinned on Pinterest:  Books you won't be able to put down.  That was certainly the case with this one.  I simply could not wait to see what happened next.


This story strayed VERY far from my usual reading material.  I can't recall a time when I read a book of this genre; it had elements of mystery, horror, and a great deal of suspense.  I can admit that, prior to reading this book, I used to think it was silly whenever someone told me that a book terrified them.  I should have known better than to criticize this.  Logic says if we lose track of the outside world and fall into the realm of our characters when we read a particularly good book (we see, hear, feel, taste, smell, etc. everything that they do), then the same thing would happen when we read a "scary" book.  I am not usually a fan of "scary" movies, but I thought a book would be relatively harmless.  This story definitely changed my mind.  It proved to me that books can give us nightmares and make us feel as if we aren't alone in a room; they already make our imaginations run wild, so books in this genre really take advantage of that.  I made the mistake of reading this while home alone at night...not a great idea.


The way in which St. James plays with time and perspective -- jumping back and forth from 1950 to 2014 and switching from various points of view of Fiona and the girls attending Idlewild Hall -- was a superb technique to keep the tension high, the story moving, and make me want to keep reading.  The threads of the stories seemed to run parallel to one another, but it was only as I forged ahead that I realized just how complex a story this was and how those threads were actually complex intersections, like a spider's web.


I'm not usually one for a ghost story, but I found Mary Hand to be particularly chilling.  Everyone's experiences with her were different and this was, perhaps, the most chilling aspect.  What is more terrifying than a ghost who learns and adapts?


The shocking discovery during the renovations at Idlewild Hall threw such an unexpected twist into the story and really brought all of the worlds into a collision course.  There were many twists and turns such as this and the pacing was excellent.  The reading list was correct:  I really could not put this book down!


What really sold this book for me was the descriptions of Idlewild Hall.  I would be lying if I said I didn't get the chills a few times.  It seemed like such a miserable place to reside, let alone be forced to attend boarding school.  The writing style was eloquent and very readable.


The school and the characters are all haunted by their pasts in this chilling, thrilling story by St. James.  I found it incredible well-written and fast-paced.  The terrifying echoes of the past collide with the tumultuous future and make for a must-read book.  Honestly, I really was not expecting to like this book as much as I did -- if only because it is not my usual cup of tea.  I was pleasantly surprised with how enthralled I became with this story.  I simply had to know what was waiting around the next corner.


If you're not one for scary or chilling, this isn't for you.  It's not a happy read in any sense of the word.  If you want something thrilling and bone-chilling, then this is right up your alley.  I promise I'm not exaggerating when I say that this book kept me on the edge of my seat pretty much the entire time.  It started off thrilling and continued along with the same pacing throughout.  The twists and turns kept me guessing, the mystery and ghosts gave me chills.  If you're looking for an exciting escape, then look no further.

No comments: