Monday, September 24, 2018

Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, Book Two): Anna Lee Huber

"Scotland, 1830.  Lady Kiera Darby is no stranger to intrigue--in fact, it seems to follow her wherever she goes.  After her foray into murder investigation, Kiera must journey to Edinburgh with her family so that her pregnant sister can be close to proper medical care.  But the city is full of many things Kiera isn't quite ready to face:  the society ladies keen on judging her, her fellow investigator--and romantic entanglement--Sebastian Gage, and ultimately, another deadly mystery.




"Kiera's old friend Michael Dalmay is about to be married, but the arrival of his older brother--and Kiera's childhood art tutor--William, has thrown everything into chaos.  For ten years Will has been missing, committed to an insane asylum by his own father.  Kiera is sympathetic to her mentor's plight, especially when rumors swirl about a local girl gone missing.  Now Kiera must once again employ her knowledge of the macabre and join forces with Gage in order to prove the innocence of a beloved family friend--and save the marriage of another..."




I was thrilled to find that my local library carried the second book in this series.  I'd initially begun to read another, but it's on loan from another location and the due date is fast approaching.  Rather than get too entrenched in a book I knew I'd have to return well before I was finished with it, I made the decision to, instead, pick up this book.  The first in this series was so wonderful and exciting that I came into this reading with very high hopes and expectations.  Though I'm only a few chapters in thus far, I have to admit that I am not disappointed in the least.  The vivid descriptions and very realistic characters remain.  We're introduced to the Dalmay family and the dark secret they've been hiding -- which also happens to be particularly poignant and relevant even though the plot takes place almost 200 years ago.  I'm looking forward to seeing what this book has in store and experiencing all of the twists and turns along with Kiera.




***


I'm nearly halfway through this book and I can safely say it's just as enthralling as the first book in this series.  I'm so happy I stumbled upon Huber in my endless Pinterest search for unique reading material.  I am still very much enjoying the complicated, simmering dynamic between Gage and Kiera.  The plot, itself, is filled with tension, mystery, secrets, and intrigue.  As with the first book, the setting really breathes life into this story.  Huber has made Scotland into a stunningly beautiful backdrop as wild and fascinating as her characters.  By contrast, the scenes which take place indoors are artfully crafted and really draw me in.  I love a rich setting and Huber has not disappointed.


There are already a great many layers to the conflict and I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.  There are a number of characters involved -- similar to the first -- and I have a huge amount of anticipation for what lies around the next corner.  I can't wait to see what shocks Huber has in store.




***


I finished this book over the past weekend and I ended up flying through the remaining chapters.  There were indeed the twist and turns I suspected from another Lady Darby Mystery.  The simmering romance between Gage and Kiera -- while not the main plot (this is not technically a romance novel) -- is a delicious bit of underlying tension further complicating an already very serious situation.  Their banter is quick, displaying the depth of both of their intelligence, and their companionship is extremely enjoyable.  I'm impressed with how Huber has managed to create such a subtle thread of romance and so successfully continued it from one book to the next; continuing it in such a way that it's not in the forefront, and yet, readers devour it with anticipation.  It adds another note of tension to an already tense book.


The progression of this mystery is quite artful.  We are drawn into the story by our history with Kiera, her family, and Gage; however, we remain captivated by the depth and uniqueness of the plot.  I will admit that I was hoping this wouldn't turn into an episode of "Scooby Doo" where the plot is extremely similar, only the face of the villain has changed (e.g. there was another gathering of guests at a house and Kiera and Gage had to sort through a bunch of possible perpetrators in order to find the true villain).  As soon as we become more aware of the plot and prominent characters, we learn just how unique the plot really is.  Huber deals with some VERY heavy topics and, I feel, writes with a blunt eloquence which accurately displays the tragedy of Will's situation.  I couldn't help but feel a great deal of empathy for him, even when some of the evidence began to point in his direction.  To me, he was the very definition of a tortured soul.


I suspected the villain and "nefarious plot" about halfway through the book; the fact that Huber kept me enthralled and wanting to confirm my supposition is wonderful.  There were still some twists and turns to keep me on my toes.  I'm a particularly careful reader, so I don't think everyone will come to the same early conclusions that I read.  Huber writes as I believe a mystery writer should (though I don't profess to be a very seasoned writer of this genre):  She reveals just enough that a reader is engaged in discovering the clues right alongside the characters, but a very observant reader just might be able to make some educated guesses a bit earlier on.  This makes for a very engaging, rewarding read.


I won't give away the ending, but I will say that we're left with just enough of a tantalizing hanger that I'm extremely excited to pick up the next in this series.  The setting is going to change and I look forward to seeing how Gage comes back into Kiera's life...and what dangers lie ahead.  I am absolutely in love with this series.  It's a brilliant "bridge" for any reader curious about making the transition from romance to mystery, or even the other way around.  The period setting is fantastic for anyone drawn to this era of romance novels.  The characters are passionate, intelligent, fiery, unique, and lively.  The plots are captivating.  The undercurrent of romance between Kiera and Gage is fantastic and, while important, doesn't overtake the main plot of the story.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments: