Monday, December 18, 2017

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: Lady Fiona Carnarvon, The Countess of Carnarvon

"Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey tells the story behind Highclere Castle, the real-life inspiration and setting for Julian Fellowes's Emmy Award-winning PBS show, Downton Abbey, and the life of one of its most famous inhabitants, Lady Almina, the 5th Countess of Carnarvon.  Drawing on a rich store of materials from the archives of Highclere Castle, including diaries, letters, and photographs, the current Lady Carnarvon has written a transporting story of this fabled home on the brink of war.

"Much like her Masterpiece Classic counterpart, Lady Cora Crawley, Lady Almina was the daughter of a wealthy industrialist Alfred de Rothschild, who married his daughter off at a young age, her dowry serving as the crucial link in the effort to preserve the Earl of Carnarvon's ancestral home  Throwing open the doors of Highclere Castle to tend to the wounded of World War I, Lady Almina distinguished herself as a brave and remarkable woman.

"The rich tale contrasts the splendor of Edwardian life in a great house against the backdrop of the First World War and offers an inspiring and revealing picture of the woman at the center of the history of Highclere Castle."

I originally picked up this book some time ago because it was on a list to read "if you enjoy Downton Abbey."  Unfortunately, I have yet to watch the show (I've been interested in it for a long time, but my schedule hasn't permitted it - I may definitely have to watch it now that I've read this book!), but I thought this non-fiction work might be an interesting read.  I was a touch skeptical because it was penned by the current Countess of Carnarvon, Lady Fiona Carnarvon.  Without sounding too harsh, I wasn't sure that this lady's aristocratic credentials necessarily meant she should be the one to write such a book - her status as a Countess doesn't make her an expert on the topic of her husband's ancestry, nor does it mean she can produce quality writing.  I will follow this up with a statement that I was impressed.  The writing was extremely well done and thoughtful.  The details were beautiful and there was a great deal of care and love put into it.  Any misgivings about the suitability of the current Countess of Carnarvon as an author have been laid to rest.  The history was rich and she really brought Lady Almina and her family to life.  I will say, however, that part of the reason this book took me so long to read was that the beginning dragged a little bit.  A great deal of time was spent on Almina's background (which, having finished the book, I can now see is integral), and this slowed the pace a bit.  It picked back up once Almina and her new husband -- the famous Earl of Carnarvon who, with Howard Carter, discovered the intact tomb of Tutankhamun in Egypt -- moved to Highclere after their wedding.  Lady Carnarvon truly makes the house come alive.  She clearly appreciates the beauty and history of the house.


***It took me so long to complete this review that I actually finished watching the entire Downton Abbey  series a couple of months ago!  I hope my reviewing gets back on track now that I'm finally done with grad school (yay!!!).  My biggest takeaway was how much more I feel I appreciated the television series after having read this account of Highclere.  The setting was spectacular and it felt so much more alive.  I have to believe the creators and writers of the series read the current Lady Carnarvon's accounts, worked very closely with her and her family, or did an astounding amount of research.  I saw threads of real people from Lady Carnarvon's book woven into the series and I found myself thrilled each time I caught a reference or tidbit.  I think it's an excellent idea to read this book and then watch the television series; it makes for a much richer experience.


Back to the book review:  Overall, I found the writing easy to read (even if the first few chapters slowed down a little bit - I do encourage you to persevere because it really is a very interesting nonfiction read) and the anecdotes were very interesting.  It breathed life into one of the most stunning houses England has to offer.  It made history come alive, which is one of my absolute favorite things about literature (it's the reason my undergraduate degrees are in English and history).  I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in England, history, WWI, British aristocracy, or the Downton Abbey television series.  I loved the photographs, the stories, and the enthralling history of this stunning house and its fascinating family.  This was a great non-fiction read and I recommend it to fans of history, England, wartime stories, and, of course, Downton Abbey.

No comments: