Monday, December 18, 2017

Love in the Time of Cholera: Gabriel Garcia Marquez

This was another book I was assigned to read in my graduate seminar in global literature. This was a book I had heard a lot about, but didn't know much about or have an opportunity to read. I found the story sad, engaging, and it was easy to become invested in the characters.  The story jumped around a little bit, but I was able to keep up.  To be brutally honest, I probably would not have picked up this book on my own, and, if I had, I don't know if I would have persevered and finished it were it not for the impending deadline of graduate school discussion board posts and essays.  One thing I have learned is that I can appreciate a work of literature for what it is even if it is not my usual cup of tea.  This is the case with this book.  I can appreciate the lyrical style and intense descriptiveness, the complex way in which the story is told, and the development of characters who, while not always moral, tug at the heartstrings in some odd, intriguing way.  I experienced a curious vacillation between pity, hate, disgust, and "cheering for" Fermina and Florentino.  This is probably what I appreciate the most about this story.  No character was perfect; no character was without sin or questionable behavior.  The story has love, loss, and tragedy, all set against the discombobulating backdrop of the Columbian coast in flux.  The juxtaposition of life and death is a constant undertone of the book.  It's not a happy read, to be sure.  If you're expecting one, then you're going to be sorely disappointed.  I think it's worth the read if you don't mind a darker story which makes you question your own existence and appreciate Latin culture and mentalities a bit more.  Overall, the story was elegant.  It took some getting used to the style, but I adjusted.  I wish I had more to say, but I originally read this a few months ago in the middle of a term and I'm just now able to get around to writing this review.  I suppose I could post the journal entries I made regarding this book (I think they have some excellent analyses in them), but they might give away a bit too much of the plot.  I suppose you'll just have to go read it for yourself!

No comments: