Monday, December 18, 2017

The Stranger: Albert Camus

This was one of the assigned readings for my graduate seminar on global literature. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but it turned out to be one of the books I used to write my final essay for the course. Meursault was a compelling character. Even months after reading the book, I am still trying to sort him out. I think he had a definite issue with his grasp on reality. I had a very good discussion about how his character represents fighting against the rules and impositions of society and the establishment. I'm considering posting that essay here so you can all see how I was so inspired by the book, but I don't want to bore anyone. Overall, I thought this particular translation was very well done. I think it flowed well and was easier to follow than I thought it would be. There were still some passages I had to reread, but it wasn't bad for my first real foray into truly global literature. I think the message was deep, the characters were complex, and this was definitely a book that made me think. I wouldn't have chosen this book on my own, but it definitely opened my eyes and broadened my horizons. Personally, I don't see it as a book I would read for fun, but that doesn't mean it's a bad read - just a different type of read. It was one that made me think, made me consider norms and societal constructs. I was impressed by the depth achieved by Camus in this short of a story and I recommend it as a thought-provoking read.  It's a pretty short read (I read it in a couple of days), so there's not too much for me to say without giving away too much of the plot.  I found the insight into the mindset and culture of the characters to be absolutely fascinating, so much so that I chose to write my final essay for the course on this book.  I think the absurdity surrounding Meursault's life and experiences was key to this work's success and its deep commentary on society's expectations and the power it has over the individual.  This book it work the read and it will definitely get you thinking about your life and the way in which your world interacts with you, and you with it.

No comments: