Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hamlet: William Shakespeare


I've been DYING to read this play and I finally got to sit down and enjoy it. (Actually...that's a funny story. It was while I was still in school, enrolled in my Shakespeare course. We were assigned to read Macbeth, but--silly me!--somehow figured that I should read Hamlet instead... I must have gotten the messages crossed in my brain, thinking "Well...they both start with the main, angsty character's name, so why not switch one for the other?" *sigh* Anyway, about two acts into it, I realized what I was doing and had to get Macbeth instead. So, no harm done, but I couldn't wait to get to work and read Hamlet for real.)

It took me a bit, but I did read Hamlet and enjoyed it a lot. It wasn't the most riveting of Shakespeare's works that I've read, but I liked it nonetheless. Truly, I believe that Hamlet is a lot more complex than many people give him credit for. I don't actually think he was crazy at all--merely making everyone think he was so he could better get his revenge. Several lines (which I sadly do not have in front of me at this moment) made me believe this. See if you can pick them out!

This is also a really perfect book to read using Queer Theory (I highly recommend looking this up. It's SO interesting!).

Overall, the plot was fantastic and twisted. It was awesome to finally read the lines I've heard in pop culture for all of my life. Now, I can much better appreciate them.

While I was reading this play, a new version of Hamlet performed by the Royal Shakespearean Company came out. (Doctor Who fans, prepare to scream!) David Tennant plays Hamlet! I was thrilled to see him in this hardcore production. In fact, he puts many of the other actors to shame. It was really impressive to see. So, I very much so recommend watching this version! Hope you all enjoy the play as much as I did!

No comments: