Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Much Ado About Nothing: William Shakespeare


This play by the Bard, himself, has to be one of my favorites. I read this for my Shakespeare class and LOVED it. Beatrice with her whip-like tongue and Benedick with his sarcasm and biting attitude had to be my FAVORITE pairing by this famed playwright. One does, however, have to keep the time period in mind when reading this; as it makes ALL of the difference in appreciating the personalities and situations. I laughed aloud too many times to count. Dogberry deserves particular attention in order to see all of his aspects. Shakespeare put particular thought into him and he needs to be seen as such. As usual, the language was amazing. The imagery was beautiful. And the characters were awesome. I loved this work by Shakespeare and I recommend this one as a MUST READ.

Also, we watched the version by Kenneth Branagh in class and it TOTALLY made the play come to life. The directing was fantastic and the acting was outstanding (except for Kieanu Reeves...though that's another story entirely...). There were plenty of other bigger names in there that make it interesting even for those who are not Shakespeare-savvy. I absolutely loved this film adaptation and would gladly watch it over and over again!

No comments: