Wednesday, May 12, 2010

King Lear: William Shakespeare


I read this play back in my senior year of high school, so I was a little disappointed to see that we were reading it again in my Shakespeare class in sophomore year of college. I understand that our teacher was trying to give us as broad a look at his works as possible, but I know that LEAR is actually one of the more commonly-read works in senior year lit classes in this area.

I wasn't interested in reading this play again because it is just so sad! It was bad enough getting all depressed in high school, but I didn't want to do it all over again. Not to say that this play is bad--which it most certainly is not--but it was just something that I was not motivated to read once more.

When I did force myself to read it, however, I did see it slightly differently. Reading it with a little more maturity beneath my belt seemed to help. I was able to pick things out that I hadn't the first time and I think I appreciated it more. The language was easier to understand as well.

So, I recommend to everyone who's reluctant to read something once again later in their lives; at least give it a chance. I'm pleasantly surprised from my experience.

No comments: