Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Macbeth: William Shakespeare


I've been dying to read this Shakespearean work and was so excited when I saw it on the syllabus for my Shakespeare class. I knew a little bit about it--thoughm bit really more than pop culture has main-streamed--and I was looking forward to learning more.

This play really dragged me in right from the beginning with the three witches. The TRUE supernatural wasn't something that I'd read much of in the other Shakespearean works I've read (well, other than THE TEMPEST). It was fascinating and attention-grabbing. Lady Macbeth was one of the most ruthless, cold-hearted female leads and I enjoyed watching her twisted mind work. However, I could actaully see the real love that she and Macbeth had for one another. Though ambition overtakes both of them, they don't seem to lose that caring. A running theme of this play is the proving of manhood. Though Lady Macbeth consistently criticizes her husband's "lackthereof", I still don't think that she stops loving him. This whole idea is something that I think it worth keeping an eye on throughout this play.

If you have a good copy of this play which details why Shakespeare added certain aspects and mentioned certain occurences that were going on during the period in which this was written; this will really add to your enjoyment of this work. If you don't have this, I highly suggest going out and putting effort into getting it--it's worth it.

Overall, I really liked this play. It was interesting and enjoyable, though tragic. In class, we watched part of one modern Australian version with AVATAR star Sam Worthington. Not a lot of people liked his acting (they already didn't care for him in AVATAR, which I actually disagree on), but I did. I thought, for what it was, it was a good version of Macbeth.

No comments: