Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Richard III: William Shakespeare


This is another of the plays that we read in my Shakespeare class. This one was interesting. I liked it, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I understood what was going on and who all of the characters were because I've read up on my English history while at work. However, everyone else in my class had difficulty handling the repetitive names and all of the complicated relationships. I had written out a relationship map before class and, since I knew what I was talking about, my classmates had be go up to the front to draw it out and explain it to them. So--for those of you who don't know the background (which is really needed to appreciate this work--here it is.

This play takes place after the War of the Roses between the Houses of Lancaster and York (in case you don't know, this was right before King Henry VIII's time). York defeated Lancaster for the crown.

The king that was overthrown was KING HENRY VI. Only his ghost appears in this play. His wife was QUEEN MARGARET. They had a son who was slain by Richard. His name was PRINCE EDWARD (his ghost appears as well). He left behind his wife, LADY ANNE. Now, King Henry had a favorite man, named HENRY EARL OF RICHMOND (simply called RICHMOND) and this is the man who later becomes KING HENRY VII (actually the father of King Henry VIII, but that's another story). His father-in-law is LORD STANLEY, Earl of Derby. Stanley's friend is William, LORD HASTINGS, Lord Chamberlain. Richmond's followers include the EARL OF OXFORD, SIR JAMES BLUNT, and SIR WALTER HERBERT.

The Lancaster king that took over was KING EDWARD IV. His wife was QUEEN ELIZABETH (who had been previously married. He title used to be Lady Gray, and Richard sometimes calls her this as a low blow. She had two sons from her previous marriage, MARQUIS OF DORSET and LORD GRAY.Also, Elizabeth's brother is Anthony Woodeville, EARL RIVERS.) These two rulers had three children. Their eldest was a girl named ELIZABETH. The thing is, this girl doesn't talk throughout the play. They also had two sons, commonly called THE PRINCES, but their names were PRINCE EDWARD (the oldest) and Richard, the young DUKE OF YORK (Now can you see where all of the name confusion begins?)

Edward had two younger brothers. George, DUKE OF CLARENCE and Richard, DUKE OF GLOUCESTER (who later becomes KING RICHARD III). *Something I think you need to know is how to pronounces "Gloucester". If you watch any BBC show or something along those lines, then you know that this is actually pronounced "Glosster". Now you know! Please, do me a favor, and remember this when you read it! Thanks!* Clarence also has a SON and a DAUGHTER who make a minor appearance. The mother of King Edward, Clarence, and Glocester is the DUCHESS OF YORK.

Richard Glocester, the play's antagonist, has a group of cronies. Their names are DUKE OF BUCKINGHAM, DUKE OF NORFOLK, SIR RICHARD RATCLIFFE, SIR WILLIAM CATESBY, SIR JAMES TYRRELL, and two MURDERERS.

Other characters include SIR THOMAS VAUGHAN, A PAGE, CARDINAL, BISHOP OR ELY, John--a PRIEST, SIR CHRISTOPHER--another Priest, SIR ROBERT BRACKENBURY--Lieutenant of the Tower of London, LORD MAYOR OF LONDON, A SCHRIVNER, HASTINGS (a PUSVUIVANT, not to be confused with LORD Hastings), SHERIFF, Aldermen and Citizens, Attendants, two Bishops, messengers, and soldiers. These, I think you'll pretty much be able to figure out on your own.

So, there you have it! All of the complicated relationships that make up this Shakespearean work. I liked the play. It was a little depressing, but that's what a tragedy should be. I believe knowing the history behind this play really made it all that much more interesting. I highly recommend brushing up on your history before reading this.

In class, we watched the movie version of this play starring Ian McKellen. A lot of my classmates didn't care for some of the directing choices, but I thought it was really well-done. I recommend watching it, though. Besides, a very young Robert Downey, Jr. is in it as Lord Rivers. :) I hope you get a chance to experience this interesting work by Shakespeare!

No comments: