Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite: Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba

"In an inexplicable worldwide event, forty-seven extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who'd previously shown no signs of pregnancy. Millionaire inventor Reginald Hargreeves adopted seven of the children; when asked why, his olny explanation was, "To save the world."

"These seven children from the Umbrella Academy, a dysfunctional family of superheroes with bizarre powers. Their first adventure at the age of ten pits them against an erratic and deadly Eiffel Tower, pioleted by the fearsome zombie-robot Gustave Eiffel. Nearly a decade later, the team disbands, but when Hargreeves unexpectedly dies, these disgruntled siblings reunite just in time to save the world once again.

"Conceived and written by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance, The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite features interior art by Eisner Award-nominated artist Gabriel Ba (De: TALES, Casanova), colors by Eisner Award-winning colorist Dave Stewart, and original series covers by multiple Eisner Award-winning James Jean. This volume collects the first six-issue series, as well as out-of-print short stories and an expanded sketchbook section featuring work by Ba, Jean, and Way."

I originally saw an advertisement for this book when my little brother was watching G4 cover Comic-con. I was really excited and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Finally, I found it...and devoured it in about two hours.

To be entirely honest, I keep going back and forth as to whether or not I actually liked it. Initially, I really enjoyed it. However, as I go back anfd look at it, I like various parts of the art less and less. Half the time the characters don't even look like themselves. As an artist (and I am NOT saying that I would or could ever do a comic) it just really bothered me.

Overall, the plot was interesting. I wish a bit more had been explained, but I can live with it. This is definitely something that should be read at least once, just so you can say you have. It's worth it.

No comments: