Monday, April 26, 2010

Knight Swam: Katya Lezin

"In middle school, at least the one Drew attends, smart is not cool. In fact, smart is about as uncool as you can get. SCRABBLE Club is the one refuge in his socially ostracizing day and ends up spelling out his salvation and redemption. SCRABBLE also provides a shared outlit for Lily and her autistic brother, Jeremy. Competing together in the National School SCRABBLE Championship, these two bright, out-of-the-box students learn as much about themselves as they do words like mbaqanga and ouabain."

My aunt gave me this book while I was visiting her this past week. It was written by one of her friends and she wanted me to read it before I met her so we would have something to talk about (I am trying to get my own book published and my aunt thought Katya might be able to give me some pointers. It also only seemed logical that I know what she wrote so I didn't look like I was trying to get something from her). This book is so not what I usually read, but it was actually a very good, quick read. It did not take me long at all. However, I found that I loved the characters and truly enjoyed the plot. I think it's actually something that many children of the middle school age should read. It has relevant issues and fun little twists that kept me reading.

(Sorry that I don't have a picture of the cover. I actually wasn't able to find one!)

No comments: