Thursday, December 30, 2010

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, Book Three): J.K. Rowling

“For twelve long years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent of the Dark Lord Voldemort.


“Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter’s defeat of You-Know-Who was Black’s downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, “He’s at Hogwarts...he’s at Hogwarts.”


“Harry Potter isn’t safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may well be a traitor in their midst.”


I’ve finally finished book three! I will say that the first thing I noticed was the development of the characters. Not only has the writing developed, but the characters have grown. All of this comes together to provide a unique reading experience. You feel like the whole world around Harry Potter is growing and defining with each year that passes. You get the sense that this happens because Harry is growing up and, naturally, becoming more aware of the world around him. That probably sounds repetitive, but it makes sense to me as I’m writing this.


Though not my favorite of the series, this book was definitely a good one. It served to deepen the grand scheme of the Harry Potter series. Lupin was a fantastic character. I enjoyed his role because it was nice to see Harry finally have a pleasant Hogwarts experience outside of Quidditch and Dumbledore. Lupin reminded me of that one special teacher that we hope each student has an opportunity to meet because that teacher will change a student’s life. The development of Snape’s character was interesting to watch as well. While the readers really dislike him in the first two books, that feeling intensifies in this book--especially toward the end. It’s nice to have a villain that’s present rather than an intangible fear of an evil wizard who was only glimpsed in the prior books.


As I’m a dork and can’t seem to stay away from the relationships between the Harry Potter books and movies, I shall begin my comparisons...


The movie adaptation of this book is one that I haven’t seen recently. Of course, I remember it, but not the specifics. I should probably find it online and watch it so I can give a better review, but I (unfortunately) don’t have the time right now. (As it is, I seriously doubt I’m going to make my reading goal by the New Year...) I recall the scene in the Shrieking Shack to be a little confusing, but it followed the book pretty closely. Overall, I believe the movie did a wonderful job with following the book’s plot. The major incidents were really followed well. This was definitely helped by the fact that the writing, in the first place, was extremely excellent.


To sum up the shortest of my Harry Potter reviews, I enjoyed this book. I LOVE watching Harry Potter grow up and it’s brilliant how the writing style is developing along with him. I truly am impressed with this series and look forward to picking up the next installment.

No comments: