Saturday, May 21, 2011

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, Book Four): J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter is midway through both his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away form the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup with Hermione, Ron, and the Weasleys. He wants to dream about Cho Chang, his crush (and maybe do more than dream). He wants to find out about the mysterious even that’s supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he’s not normal--even by wizarding standards.


“And in his case, different can be deadly.”


Unfortunately, I’m only beginning this review more than halfway through the book. This could be taken as a good indicator of how enthralled I am by this installment in the Potter series.


The characters are as wonderful as I remember and the settings are lively and rich. These meld beautifully in Rowling’s work and make her books rather difficult to put down.


And now for the obligatory comparison between the film version and this book. I distinctly remember this movie being the turning point from fun to dark. Personally, this suited my tastes just fine. This switch, however, is not as apparent in the book. I still love the growth and development of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but--at the time of this review--I feel as if the characters’ maturity levels in the book aren’t quite what they were in the film. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it is noticeable. The unique way Rowling developed them remains one of my favorites because (as I stated in my other Potter reviews) the writing becomes more complex as the characters age. This is one of the most admirable qualities (other than pure creativity) of the series.


As for the book itself, I like its flow. Anyone who’s seen the book and compared it to the previous three knows how much longer Goblet of Fire is. Thus far, this isn’t a bad thing. Granted, things are moving at a slower pace when one compares it to the film, but this is due in part to all of the extra scenes and information the movie omitted. Though long and slightly drawn out, this book is thick with magic (pun mildly intended) and fun. I remain very pleased with Rowling’s seemingly boundless imagination and really look forward to what the rest of this book has in store for me.


...


I’ve finished the book! I planned on doing more RAIR, but I got so caught up in the story that I didn’t get a chance.


As the book went on, I saw much more character growth and development, which made me happier. I think perhaps the movies have colored my perceptions of them and I see them as older than they are, so I want them to be like the actors. This is very unfair of me to do, but I can’t seem to help it. Other than extremely minor ambivalence (as I can’t seem to come up with a better word to describe it) because of this, I wasn’t bothered overmuch. I still loved the plot and characters.


The further I got, however, the more there seemed to be information that wasn’t deemed important enough to include in the film. The time spans in between the challenges sometimes seemed to take forever and the buildup was almost too much. I’m not trying to complain, just simply explain that portions of this book will move slower than Potter readers are used to. Many of the conversations toward the end of the book were not included at all and I’m still undecided on wether or not I even like them in the book. I understand why they were included, but that doesn’t mean I was in love with them all. (I know that sounds vague, but going into any more detail would give too much away.)


Overall, I liked the book. The action scenes were fast-paced and exciting. I felt myself cheering for the champions right along with the rest of the students. I can’t wait to read more! I have to buy the next book and I’m sure I’ll read it as soon as I tear open the package :)

No comments: