Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Beauty and the Blacksmith (Spindle Cove, Book 3.5): Tessa Dare

"Beautiful and elegant, Miss Diana Highwood is destined to marry a wealthy, well-placed nobleman. At least that's what her mother has loudly declared to everyone in Spindle Cove.

"But Diana's not excited by dukes and lords.  The only man who makes her heart pound is the village blacksmith, Aaron Dawes.  By birth and fortune, they couldn't be more wrong for each other...but during stolen, steamy moments in the smithy, his strong hands feel so right.

"Is their love forged strong enough to last, or are they just playing with fire?"

This was a very short and sweet mini-story by Tessa Dare; therefore, it seems only fitting that my review be short and sweet as well.  It's no secret that I'm a great fan of Dare's writing.  She has a knack for creating vivid characters, fun and interesting plots, and entrancing scenes.

I found this short story to be far more interesting and better written than the first short story in this series (Once Upon a Winter's Eve).  I felt that the characters were more interesting and the love story between them was more fun and captivating.  I really enjoyed Aaron as a male lead and it was nice to see Diana in a story of her own - having seen her in a few of the other Spindle Cove books.  I definitely liked Diana more than I thought I would; I don't know why, but I was sure I wouldn't care for her story from her point of view, but I did.

Dare managed to cram a lot of emotion into one short story and I am impressed.  As expected, this was a very quick and easy read for me - it definitely made getting through a couple of workouts on the treadmill more palatable.  While not my favorite in this series, this book was short, sweet, enjoyable, and a fun little read.  I definitely recommend this installment in the Spindle Cove series.

No comments: