Saturday, March 24, 2018

Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter Series, Book Seven): Sherrilyn Kenyon UPDATED

Here's another updated review!  You can find my original review from 2008 HERE.  My feelings about this book seem to have stayed the same.  I still find Zarek to be one of the most psychologically and emotionally complex characters of Kenyon's.  He truly does evolve on so many levels.  He starts off so animalistic and then you realize there's SO much you don't know about him.  At all.  You have NO idea what he has been through, what he has endured, and the demons that still haunt him even many centuries later.  There are so many nuances to his character that I don't feel as if I caught them all or even appreciated them to the degree I do now -- either this book is worth reading more than once, or I'm just a lot more mature in the last 10 years...could be both.

Astrid is a great counterpart to Zarek.  I will, however, say that I don't see much point to her blindness if she's just able to use Sasha to see.  For example, she held off looking at Zarek until he was conscious, but wouldn't it have been a hell of a lot easier to tend his wounds if she could see his back?  No one said she had to look at his face.  Then, when he was awake, that was the first thing she looked at...  Seems a bit pointless.  Unless the reason is so she can seem helpless to those she is judging and, in turn, see how those men treat someone they view as helpless.  This is something in which I can see some merit, but, if it is the real reason, it isn't explained well.

Thanatos is a good bad guy with nothing to lose, and this makes him all the more dangerous.  I was more than a little frustrated by Acheron's inability to help or keep an eye on his Dark-Hunters, the way in which Artemis is so flippant (though I suppose that's in character for her), and the degree to which Acheron went to hide things from Zarek.  Simi is also a point of contention for me.  I found her more annoying than funny -- like she's a parody or an inside joke with Kenyon and her friends and I just don't get it.  I love the idea of Acheron having a "daughter," just not her.  Her speech and obsession with barbecuing (and barbecue sauce) all really rub me the wrong way...  Maybe it's just me, though.  There were times when I felt something similar for Sasha.  While I loved the fact that his crabby butt was a part of this story, he sometimes went a little bit overboard.  Once again, it could just be me.

Overall, I do think Zarek is still one of my favorite, most tragic Dark-Hunters.  I didn't cry this time around, but I did get slightly choked up.  I recommend this book, but be prepared to have your heart beaten to a pulp by Zarek's backstory.

No comments: