Monday, September 17, 2018

I Was Anastasia: Ariel Lawhon

"In an enthralling new feat of historical suspense, Ariel Lawhon unravels the extraordinary twists and turns in Anna Anderson's 50-year battle to be recognized as Anastasia Romanov.  Is she the Russian Grand Duchess or the thief of another woman's legacy?

"Countless others have rendered their verdict.  Now it is your turn.

"Russia, July 17, 1918:  Under direct orders from Vladimir Lenin, Bolshevik secret police force Anastasia Romanov, along with the entire imperial family, into a damp basement in Siberia where they face a merciless firing squad.  None survive.  At least that is what the executioners have always claimed.

"Germany, February 17, 1920:  A young woman bearing an uncanny resemblance to Anastasia Romanov is pulled shivering and senseless from a canal in Berlin.  Refusing to explain her presence in the freezing water, she is taken to the hospital where an examination reveals that her body is riddled with countless, horrific scars.  When she finally does speak, this frightened, mysterious woman claims to be the Russian Grand Duchess Anastasia.

"Her detractors, convinced that the young woman is only after the immense Romanov fortune, insist on calling her by a different name:  Anna Anderson.  As rumors begin to circulate through European society that the youngest Romanov daughter has survived the massacre, old enemies and new threats are awakened.  With a brilliantly crafted dual narrative structure, Lawhon wades into the most psychologically complex and emotionally compelling territory yet:  the nature of identity itself."

This is the book I started reading at the tail end of my vacation (it was also the last one I'd brought with me, so I am sort of grateful that I didn't fly right through it or I would have been lost).  Once again, I have Pinterest to thank for my reading material.  The algorithm it uses to come up with recommendations really is very impressive; more often than not, it seems to be able to really pick up on what my tastes gear toward and come up with books I may not have chosen for myself, but would more than likely enjoy.  This book popped up a number of times (even after I pinned it) and I came across it at my local library, so it felt a bit like fate.



I've always been fascinated with European history (more so British history than anything else) and there's just something captivating and tragic about the Romanovs.  I even enrolled in a Russian history course during my undergraduate studies (which was amazing, by the way -- in part because I was also able to learn quite a bit about the country from which most of my family originates:  Lithuania) and I found it absolutely fascinating, especially when it came to the revolution.  I grew up watching the animated film Anastasia (one of my cousins is even named "Anastasia"), so I have always been around the story of the Grand Duchess and her ill-fated family -- even in my British history studies because her mother was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.  It was not until somewhat more recently that I was exposed to the story of Anna Anderson, the real-life woman who claimed to be THE Anastasia.  Every so often (thank you, internet, for tracking my history...), an article will pop up in my Facebook feed about Anna and her grand claims and mysterious background.  I won't give away what I have learned from these articles, but, rather, will stick to the context of this book.




I'm currently about a third of the way through this book.  It has a very unique narrative style, bouncing back and forth from Anna to Anastasia.  It transcends the decades in less than chronological order (at least for Anna) and it can be difficult to follow at times, but it is so very much worth it.  The intricacies and nuances I've been able to catch thus far are captivating.  We begin with an unnamed narrator cautioning us that conveying her story will only pass along its burden, though we continue onwards regardless.  This is followed by Anna making a last-ditch effort to remain in America before her visa expires and it is after this that the meandering hallways of Anna's memories are revealed.  We are given the distinct impression that she's a credible narrator because of the details she provides and the lengths to which she's been willing to go -- the sacrifices she's been willing to make -- in order to prove her identity.  We see how other people have tried to use her, either for monetary or notoriety gain; how she has been touted as a lost princess or sneered at as an imposter.




However, I think my favorite parts thus far have been Anastasia's point of view.  The Romanovs are often portrayed as spoiled and aloof -- totally out of touch with reality and the things they should have handled as the Russian royal family -- and I'm not disputing that they were not; however, it has been very interesting to read a different perspective.  Told from Anastasia's point of view, these sections offer a very intimate look into the Romanov family and behind closed doors.  Their confusion and fear were palpable entities during their downfall and subsequent transportation to Siberia.  You feel sympathy for a family which is, more often than not, shown to be completely detached from reality.  The details Anastasia is able to capture, her determination and will are astounding for someone so young and in such a dire situation.  It's all written beautifully and it really immerses you in this world of turmoil and upheaval experienced by Anastasia and her family.


I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this progresses.




***


I'm now 2/3 of the way through this book and the tension is definitely heating up.  The narrative style is so successful and captivating, with Anna and Anastasia's perspectives playing out with different narrators and their timelines creeping ever closer.  I find myself speeding through because I want to get to the point where their stories/timelines collide.  What will we discover?  What is the truth?  In a backwards fashion, we learn how Anna came to be in America, all of the times she'd been exploited or vilified, how she'd come to survive off of her infamy.  How the surviving Romanov family members had attempted to buy her off and why they did so.  With Anastasia, we witness the treatment of the imperial family under the revolutionaries and then the Bolsheviks.  We see how they were taken down more than a few notches (perhaps several hundred notches, to be honest) in an effort to rub their noses in reality.  The subtle ways in which they'd been sheltered, even in captivity.  There's even a little bit of sweet romance between some of the captors and captives.  Anastasia's first-person perspective portions remain my favorite parts of this book.  Her personality is spunky and her will to survive is admirable.  History tells us that the story does not end well for the Romanovs, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what the last part of the book has to offer, and I consider this a great feat of writing.


***


I finished this book a few days ago and I'm happy to finally get around to finish my review.  Completing a book in a matter of a few days is no great feat for me (in fact, this one actually took me a bit longer than normal because of my hectic schedule and trying to get back into the swing of things after vacation), but I do consider it notable when there are specific reasons that I simply cannot put a book down.  While the book, as a whole, is extremely interesting and captivating, the latter half is so brimming with suspense that you're practically salivating for more.  You HAVE to know if Anna is Anastasia.  So many times over I thought I'd had the plot figured out; I believed I'd discovered Lawhon's aim.  I was wrong so many times over.  The beauty of this style of writing (with two perspectives beginning decades apart and then creeping inexorably closer, gradually building the tension while it reveals tidbits of information and carefully omitting others) is that you know where the story ends up, you're just not sure how it got there.  And, in this particular story, that makes all the difference in the world.  This style is what makes this book unique and such a fascinating read.  It could have just been yet another historical fiction providing hope for those who believe that, surely, someone must have survived what history can only categorize as a massacre of the royal family.  The writing is so poignant and it resonated so deeply with me that I was completely absorbed in the story (woe to my husband who kept trying to interrupt the last few chapters despite the fact that I told him I just wanted to finish my book...).


Anastasia's portions of the story remained my favorite, though I do think that Anna's became even more interesting as the story progressed.  The impact of the surviving Romanov family members upon her life was of particular interest to me -- their desperation to quell Anna's claims and collect the Romanov inheritance.  I thought the way in which Lawhon managed to get the readers to sympathize with Anna while retaining the sense of mystery and uncertainty about her was artful.  There were a couple of Anna's portions which dragged on just a bit; however, having finished the book, I can say that pretty much every single detail was required to further the reader's belief/disbelief.  One must take this book as a whole rather than two separate stories which happen to be contained in the same book.  There are nuances and details woven with such care throughout, creating an epic interconnected story.


Anastasia's perspective was dramatic and vivid.  Having completed that aforementioned Russian history course, I'm familiar with the ways in which the Romanovs were treated after their fall from grace.  Yes, they were a royal family vastly out of touch with reality, but does any human being really deserve to be punished thusly?  Anastasia's companionship with Tomas provided much-needed tenderness in her dark, disparaging world and I found the details to be very sweet.  The book had the potential to become far too heavy without this.


Overall, this was a fascinating read with a unique structure to it, which, I felt, makes it so successful.  It definitely helps if you know and understand a little bit of Russian history to truly appreciate why the revolt took place, but it's not necessary to know everything since Lawhon does such a good job of explaining it as the story goes along.  I definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of historical fiction or is looking for a book with a different setup than your run-of-the-mill chronological timeframe.  As the information above indicates, this book really is a psychological journey.


***Side Note:  I discovered that Lawhon is another Nashville author -- another happy coincidence.  I ended up (unintentionally) taking books by two different Nashville authors on my trip to that city.

No comments: