Sunday, March 7, 2010

Everlasting Kiss: Amanda Ashley, Madeline Baker


"DESIRE NEVER DIES

"Daisy O'Donnell doesn't get the attraction some women feel for vampires. She likes her men with a heartbeat. And she's just met one who's full of life: Erik Delacourt, the unreasonably sexy man she keeps meeting at a popular L.A. nightclub called the Crypt. She barely knows him, but there's no resisting the connection she feels...

"There's one important detail Erik hasn't gotten around to telling her yet. He's a powerful vampire out to hunt the Blood Thief who's draining young vampires all over the city--and who has just raised the stakes by destroying one of Erik's friends. To Erik, Daisy is a bright spot of innocence in a world of darkness and menace. He'll do anything--even lie to her--to keep her safe and pure.

"If only he knew that Daisy has something of her own to hide..."

Okay...well, I think I really need to start this review off with a very sincere apology. I was given this book to review months ago and only just finished it yesterday... I have no good excuses except for the real fact that I allowed my personal life to get in the way of my reviewing. If one looks at the past reviews, it's pretty obvious how much my reviewing tapered off. I have been reading this book on and off since I got it, but school and other things really got in the way of something that I love to do and there are no real excuses for that.

Now that I've said my sorries; this book was a fun read. I enjoyed the characters and their dynamics. Daisy's brother--Alex--was expecially fun to watch as he interacted with Erik (maybe moreso becase I have a brother--also named Alex--who's got a similar personality). The setting of the story was interesting too. I've not really read a book where vampires are known to the world and the government actually encouraged the hunting of their kind. Not to say that the vampires walked freely among humans, but there was a cool flavor to the setting that I haven't really seen before.

Overall, I really liked Erik as a character. He wasn't simply a "stock vampire" that I've seen in many other similar novels among other authors. I liked him almost as much as I liked Rhys--which probably wasn't the author's intent, but what can I say? I like 'em bad :)

Daisy--on the other hand--was a nice character, but that was it. I didn't feel much for her other than when she was with Erik. Her encounters with Erik made me care about her, but that was about it. Not to give too much away, but he lifestyle was pretty cool and her family was interesting, but it was Daisy, herself, the didn't quite do it for me.

However, I still enjoyed this book a lot (though it took me FOREVER to finish...). It wasn't my favorite of Ashley's, but I would still recommend it nonetheless.

No comments: