Saturday, March 27, 2010

Frankenstein: Mary Shelley


Well...the title should just about say it all. This book was on my list of "to reads" and it just so happened that we were required to complete it for my Fiction course this semester in college. Though I was not allowed to read this for pure enjoyment, I think the structure helped me finish it in a timely manner. This book isn't exactly light reading because of its language and drama.

Frankenstein is very much so a "Romantic Hero" from the era in which Shelley wrote her famous tale. He's SO dramatic and melencholy that it can sometimes be overwhelming. Most of the male characters seemed to be pulled from the same stock (uneducated men who find some form of knowledge and fall apart because of it). I wrote an essay on such a topic... That was a little annoying, but the interesting quotes from works like Milton's Paradise Lost made up for that a little.

The writing style of this work (where it goes from letters to Frankenstien's view, to the monster's view, back to Frankenstein, and then the letters once more) is an interesting one. I think it's varied style made the piece more interesting.

One thing that I want people to know is that the BOOK IS NOT THE SAME AS ANY OF THE FRANKENSTEIN MOVIES YOU'VE SEEN! Don't come to this book with a bunch of preconceived notions because then you will be sorrily disappointed. Fair warning...

I will not say that this book was one of my favorites, but I am glad that I read it. If you gain nothing else, at least you can say that you read a classic work that heavily impacted an era.

No comments: