Tuesday, August 17, 2010

James and the Giant Peach: Roald Dahl

"A little magic can take you a long way...

"When James accidentally drops some magic crystals by the old peach tree, strange things start happening. The peach at the very top of the tree starts growing, and growing, and growing...until it's as big as a house! When James crawls inside, he meets a houseful of oversized friends--Grasshopper, Centipede, Earthworm, and more. With a snip of the stem, the peach starts rolling away, and the adventure begins!"

This was another film adaptation that I loved when I was growing up. There was just something about the whimsy and wonder that comes with a giant peach and enormous friendly bugs that made for an awesome movie. Around the same time, I read my favorite Dahl book--The BFG (which I fully plan on re-reading now). So, Dahl made a huge impact on the kids in my class because he was so out there and fun. You just weren't considered "well read" in my elementary school until you'd read some of his books.

It took me a while, but I finally got to read this book! It was very good: short but it made an impact. I'm actually reading it with my younger cousin and she adores it. Like I said, there's just something about Dahl that transcends the decades and connects with children of all ages :)

No comments: