Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Secret Garden: Frances Hodgson Burnett


"Unlock the Magic of the Secret Garden

"When orphaned Mary Lennox, lonely and sad, comes to live at her uncle's great house on the Yorkshire moors, she finds it full of secrets. At night, she hears the sound of crying down one of the long corridors. Outside, she meets Dickon, a magical boy who can charm and talk to animals. Then, one day, with the help of a friendly robin, Mary discovers the most mysterious wonder of all--a secret garden, walled and locked, which had been completely forgotten for years and years. Is everything in the garden dead, or can Mary bring it back to life?"

Growing up, the film adaptation of this classic book was one of my absolute favorites. I had tried picking the original book up over the years, but it didn't grab me immediately and I never got more than a few chapters into it. Now, however, I am enrolled in a Children's Literature class and this book was on our extensive reading list. It was the first one I finished and I must say that I enjoyed it.

Though it was not as good as I remember the movie being (which is usually the case when you go back to read things that were wonderful and mystifying back in childhood), it was decent nonetheless. The characters were still fascinating--especially Dickon--and I believe it was worth the read.

I've heard pretty mixed reviews from other readers about this book. Some were completely repelled by it, while others enjoyed it. I'm a little bit on the fence, but leaning a little more toward enjoying it. It was a bit long-winded at points and I can't imagine a child picking up this book and finishing it on her own; but the film adaptation will always remain near and dear to my heart.

2 comments:

lelinha said...

hi,i love that book.
do you know were can i buy one?
the original by Frances Hodgson Burnett?

AlwaysEloquent said...

Hi there! As a matter of fact, I have my copy up for sale on my half.com store. You can find the link at the top of this page under "Want to Read What I Read?" Mine is the 1990's reprint, but still unabridged and written by Frances Hodgson Burnett with Tasha Tudor's illustrations. Drop by and have a look at the full description. If it's not what you're looking for, I'm sure you'll be able to find something on Half.com. The shipping is reasonable and a flat-rate while the prices are very reasonable.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy reading!