Friday, June 3, 2011

A Dark History: The Kings & Queens of Europe: Brenda Ralph Lewis

“Beneath the splendor and sophistication of the monarchies of continental Europe are tales of scandal, mystery, and skullduggery. A Dark History: The Kings & Queens of Europe peels away the glitz to take a wry look at what really happened in the corridors, bedrooms, and dungeons of European power, from the Middle Ages to Present day.


“Spanning the whole of mainland continental Europe, this history includes the burning of the Knights Templar, Vlad the Impaler’s stakes, Elizabeth Bathory’s bloodbaths, Louis XV’s womanizing, the mystery of Man in the Iron Mask, King Ludwig I’s doomed love affair, the suicide pact of Austro-Hungary’s Crown Prince Rudolph, and the troubled life and tragic death of Princess Grace of Monaco.


“Tales of murder, insanity, obsessive love, and horrific torture illuminate the troubles of royal dynasties, inter-breeding and empire, with examples drawn from Spain, Belgium, Romania, Sweden, the Netherlands, Austro-Hungary, Germany, and France. Illustrated throughout with contemporary paintings and engravings alongside modern photography, A Dark History: The Kings & Queens of Europe offers a fascinating portrait of the dark side of European monarchy.”


This book was an impulse buy from a “last chance” table at a bookstore I won’t name. I flipped through it and instantly knew I had to have it. The history nerd inside of me was really excited to open it. Now, because of this, I don’t know how many of you will enjoy reading this, but I suggest you give it a try. Anyone remotely interested in monarchies, the lives of royals, Europe, or even the slightest bit in Europe should give this book a try. I really enjoyed it and finished it with super speed.


Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to do my RAIR method because I mostly used this book for reading before bed. It was a great book to relax and unwind with. The author obviously did a TON of research and this is what made the book. Had it been half-done, then I don’t think it would have been nearly as good. The pictures were fantastic and really made the stories come to life. As a visual person, this made the book all the more enjoyable to read. I did make the mistake of only skimming the synopsis, so I was hoping for a section on British monarchs. Closer inspection corrected my misconception.


Though I really did enjoy this book, there are a few things I took exception to. This book claimed to cover all the scandals of the Continental European monarchies, but it glossed over quite a few. An example of this would be the Romanians. The book certainly covered the main ones with Bathory and Vlad the Impaler, but I almost wanted a little bit more. In addition, the French section only covered the two kings that came before Louis XVI. I know there are so many books and movies and writings on the last monarchs before the French Revolution, but I believe they contributed a great deal to the last step of the downfall. I have to grant that one can’t expect a book to be the penultimate source, but it felt like these countries were a little bit glossed over. Still, I must say that my favorite monarchies have to be the Belgium and Austro-Hungary ones. I think--at least here in the United States--we have this sense that these countries are portrayed as stuffy and unshakable. This book made them seem much more realistic. Their tragedies and histories were by far some of the most fascinating to read. Also, the Spanish monarchy was one filled with scandal and insanity which made for other interesting reading. However, a family tree could have been beneficial to illustrate the interbreeding and the insanity that resulted.


Overall, I liked this book. Some aspects could have been improved upon, but I believe it was a great find and well worth the buy and the read.

No comments: