Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, Book Five): J.K. Rowling

“THERE IS A DOOR at the end of a silent corridor. And it’s haunting Harry Potter’s dreams. Why else would he be waking in the middle of the night screaming in terror?


“Here are just a few things on Harry’s mind:


“ *A Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher with a personality like poisoned honey


“ *A venomous, disgruntled house-elf


“ *Ron as keeper of the Gryffindor Quidditch team


“ *The looming terror of the end-of-term Ordinary Wizarding Level exams


“...and of course, the growing threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. In the richest installment yet of J.K. Rowling’s seven-part story. Harry Potter is faced with the unreliability of the very government of the magical world and the impotence of the authorities at Hogwarts.


“Despite this (or perhaps because of it), he finds depth and strength in his friends, beyond what even he knew; boundless loyalty; and unbearable sacrifice.


“Though thick runs the plot (as well as the spine), readers will race through these pages and leave Hogwarts, like Harry, wishing only for the next train back.”


Please forgive me for stating the obvious: This book was LONG! There was still Rowling’s magic on every page. Evidence of this is the lack of my RAIR method for this review. I was also reading two other books in conjunction with this one and I must say that I couldn’t wait to finish those and devote my full attention to this one (I cheated in the end and stopped reading the one I didn’t finish).


The character development was extremely prevalent in this Harry Potter installment. Most obvious was the swearing. Not overly so, it definitely added a sense of reality to the characters. Though I was slightly put off by Harry’s near incessant angst, it didn’t wreck the book for me. I have to admit that I was a little bit frustrated at times because he was just SO tortured. Granted, terrible things happened to Harry over and over, but the amount of emotional pain was just so great that it was almost unpleasant to read. I, however, did not lose my sympathy for Harry. (It was difficult to feel anything BUT sympathy as one thing after another keep pushing Harry back down.) I will say that I felt like Ron and--especially--Hermione had smaller parts in this book than others. I have yet to decide if I am okay with this.


As for the length...I am sure that Rowling has a plan for all the seemingly (at times) unnecessary additions to the cast. I got somewhat impatient with portions, but I can’t say which ones because that would give too much away. I will hint that many of the parts I felt were too long were not included in the movie version.


Surprisingly, I don’t have too much of a comparison between movie and book for this review. This is going to sound totally crazy, but, for the longest time, I believed what few snippets I could recall from this movie were some wacked out dream I had. I know. You think I’ve lost it. Anyway, someone told me that this book is the most oft forgotten of the entire Potter series, so this lack of recollection isn’t too insane. I can see how this book might not be someone’s favorite, but it certainly wasn’t terrible. I liked it, but I’ve read better. I just got my hands on the DVD version of Order of the Phoenix and I think I’ll watch it tonight and attach it to this post. I’m sure I’ll have more to say once my memory is jogged.

No comments: