Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Embrace the Night (Vampire): Amanda Ashley

“MASTER OF DARKNESS, MISTRESS OF LIGHT

“A creature doomed to wander the earth in eternal darkness, he searched the ages for someone to share the endless night of his existence, for that one woman who would recognize the man within the monster.

“An angel of purity and sunlight, she feared the mysterious stranger whose eyes promise endless ecstasy even as he whispered dark secrets she dared not believe.

“They were two people longing for fulfillment, braving the danger of a love like no other. Alone they faced desolation and despair; together, they would share undying passion, defy eternity, and…EMBRACE THE NIGHT”

(So in case you guys are wondering, in the title of this blog, there is a title for the series, but no book #. This is because it's just a group of books that she wrote with vampires in them...it's not technically a series. However, I will be reading them in the order that she published them...and there are three books in this "non-series" which must be read in order...but we'll get to that later...)

***So, I would like to apologize for some of the comments I made on this blog...I was having a bad day and would like to take back some of the things I wrote!***

I finished this book several days ago and JUST got a chance to review it because school has been totally crazy! Anyway, this is the first book by Amanda Ashley that I have gotten to read and it was slightly different from what I normally read. Most of you know that I love vampire novels and this one was no different. I LOVED the way the vampire (I don’t want to give away his name because that’s actually part of the plot; however minor) was written. His angst and pain were practically palpable and the character of Sara was very real too. Although…there was ALL of this build up for their “love scene” and it was rather chastely written. I almost felt cheated and let down because this is NOT a short book and nor is it a quick read, so it took me forever to finally get to the part where the characters finally admit that they really care for one and other and…pretty much nothing happened. Now, don’t go thinking that I’m some sort of pervert and that’s all I look for in a novel, but Ashley’s writing is very beautiful and eloquent and I was expecting so much more from her. Granted…it took place like ten times, but, again, I almost felt like it was a little bit disappointing and difficult to read. I think Ashley could have done something amazing.

(Okay so that was totally unfair of me... Ashley's writing was different from what I normally read and that does not make it bad at all! I LOVE her writing...and I'm NOT just saying that because she found this blog........ She uses some of the most beautiful descriptions and heartfelt words I have ever read and I want you all to know how much I really did enjoy this book. I know how disappointed I sounded in that last paragraph, but the more I sat down and thought about Ashley's writing, the more I realize that it's actually more mature and that I really appreciate her ability to create an amazing story without spelling out the s-e-x.)

And, I found the WORST typo out of all the books I’ve read! It goes “There is nothing wrong with me in the way you mean. It’s only that you’re so young.bu505” I was like “…what?” and had to read it over a few times to make sure I wasn’t seeing things. (I’ve seen delta symbols in place of apostrophes, but never numbers…let alone three numbers and two letters that make up one rather large typo…)

(I in no way wrote about that typo with the intent to place blame or offend. Some of my readers have come to me and asked "well, are you blind, or did you see the same typo I saw?"...yeah...they actually say that...and I got sick of it to the point where I actually just began to put it in my blogs so people would shut up. As an author myself, I know that this is not the author's fault. The books go through so many steps that there are MANY more people at blame. I'm sorry if I gave offense!)

Otherwise, I will most likely read more of Ashley’s work in the future (in fact, I have some more of her books already checked out from the library), but I have to admit that I hope to see more “depth” to certain parts of her writing.

(So, that was really immature of me...sorry... "Most likely" was an understatement because I really WILL read more of her works and love them for what they are--amazing, solid, beautiful, and eloquent writing!)

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Hi ~ I'm happy to know you mostly enjoyed Embrace the Night, and sorry that my love scenes disappointed you. I don't like graphic sex and don't write it.
Regarding the typo, you must have an original copy, because it's been corrected in subsequent editions.

Amanda Ashley

AlwaysEloquent said...

Oh...wow...I NEVER in a MILLION years thought that one of the authors who I blogged about would actually find my blog...I'm completely gobsmacked!

Anyway, I feel REALLY bad about what I wrote and I'm actually going to go back and change it because I was having a really bad day and NOTHING could make me happy. (I tend to have those days.) But your writing, in all honesty IS fantastic and I am thrilled to have discovered you. I think you touch on the honesty in your characters and I LOVE what you've done. Don't think that I'm some perv who only looks for graphic sex scenes, because I don't. I really DID like how you play up the emotions instead of the raw sex. It's new and refreshing and I fully intend on correcting my post.

As for the typo, I totally don't blame you. It's something that some of my friends have asked me about in other books "hey, did you find that typo in that book???" and I got sick of saying that I had in fact seen it and I just began posting it. It's not your fault and I'm really sorry if it came across that way.

In all honesty, I LOVE your work and thoroughly enjoy reading it. I'm really sorry if I offended you and (I'm not going to lie) I just about had a heart attack when I saw that you had commented on my blog!

I will totally read more of your works in the future and actually have a copy of DEEPER THAN THE NIGHT sitting on my bedside table just waiting for me to read it.

Thanks for checking out my blog and maybe (if you're not too offended!) you can check back because I'll be sure to write more about your work!

Mandy said...

Hi ~ I've read both your apologies, and I apologize for embarrassing you. I wasn't offended or angry by anything you said. If you email me your address, I'll send you a copy of Night's Master if you don't already have one. If you do, I'll send you a copy of Night's Pleasure when I get one.

Amanda Ashley

AlwaysEloquent said...

You didn't embarrass me at all, I just felt bad. I am totally flattered that you would offer to send me one of your books! (You really didn't have to!) It means so much to me. I don't have either of them, so anything would be awesome. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find your e-mail address and, therefore, can't send you my address, but if you get a free moment, my main e-mail is kswanart@yahoo.com and then I'll be able to send you my address.

Thanks Again