Sunday, October 26, 2008

Dance With the Devil (Dark-Hunter Series, Book Seven): Sherrilyn Kenyon

“ZAREK’S POINT OF VIEW:

Dark-Hunter: A soulless guardian who stands between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. Yeah, right. The only part of that Code of Honor I got was eternity and solitude.

Insanity: A condition I may suffer from after being alone for so long. But I don’t suffer from my insanity—I enjoy every minute of it.

Trust: I can’t trust anyone…not even myself. The only thing I trust is in my ability to do the wrong thing in any situation and to put a hurt on anyone who gets in my way.

Truth: I endured a lifetime as a Roman slave, and 900 years as an exiled Dark-Hunter. Now I’m tired of enduring. I want the truth about what happened the night I was exiled—I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Astrid (Greek, meaning star): An exceptional woman who can see straight to the truth. Brave and strong, she is a point of light in the darkness. She touches me and I tremble. She smiles and my cold heart shatters.

Zarek: They say even the most damned man can be forgiven. I never believed that until Astrid opened her door to me and made this feral beast want to be human again. Made me want to love and be loved. But how can an ex-slave whose soul is owned by a Greek goddess ever dream of touching, let alone holding, a fiery star?”

***Just a little bit of an update on Sherrilyn Kenyon’s books. For my reading order, I was going off of a list that…I guess…hadn’t been updated in a while and now I went to check it out and it was changed. According to the list from her site from a couple of weeks ago, there should be a story in the back of Dance With the Devil called something like “A Dark-Hunter Christmas”, but there wasn’t and that’s where my confusion started. The website has now switched around some of the reading orders and eliminated a short story altogether—the one that explains Acheron’s story. So, I’m a little confused and wondering what’s going on and this is a little bit of a heads up because my book numbers may not match with her site’s.***

Now, about this book…I LOVED IT!!! I thought I was moved by Talon’s and Kyrian’s stories, but nothing prepared me for Zarek’s story… I had flat-out sobbed three times before getting half-way through the book. That’s pretty impressive and it made me love the characters all the more. Zarek is a complete badass and I really didn’t care for him in Talon’s story. I kept thinking how difficult it would be for Sherrilyn Kenyon to make me want to care for Zarek. I thought “Well, he was a slave…Valerius is his brother…he was unloved…yeah, that’s terribly sad, but he’s such an ass to Acheron and everyone else.” And Kenyon has TOTALLY made me care for Zarek to the point where I fell for his character. I cried so many times and it was just SO beautifully written.

Astrid was a pretty interesting character too and she was fun to watch as she developed from an apathetic judge to a woman who wanted to help the man she believed to be innocent. I liked how there was more development of Acheron’s character and more Dark-Hunters were brought into this story. It gave depth to the plot without slowing it down and that’s not something that’s easy to do. All-in-all (though I’m a little confused by her site) I LOVE Sherrilyn Kenyon’s works and look forward to reading more!

No comments: