Friday, June 18, 2010

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Four): Rick Riordan

"Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.

"In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth--a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn."

Yay! I finished book number four! This one was just as good as the others. Obviously, the characters are becoming more and more complex as they grow up, but they're still the familiar faces I've come to love. The new twists and turns that Riordan has incorporated into his wonderful world of demigods and monsters really kept me fascinated. I really enjoyed this book and it was a very fun read.

I couldn't help but feel bad for Percy and all of the difficult decisions he had to choose from. His life has become all the more complicated when girls are thrown in the mix. Jealousy and attitude plagues these young warriors as they try to complete their mission--and poor Percy has no idea why the girls fight over him...typical oblivious guy. I found myself laughing aloud so many times! It was great! (Though I won't say who I'm rooting for...I'll leave that judgement out until you read it for yourselves. Maybe when I'm done with the series, I'll let you know what my feelings are.)

Anyway, as I said earlier, I love the characters. They've really become like "friends". The way Riordan writes, they have their unique personalities; but he manages to remain true to them throughout all of the books. I love this about the writing. Something else that was neat was that the descriptions of the labyrinth reminded me of the movie "Labyrinth", which I highly recommend checking out!

Though there were a few minor errors (i.e. "Mrs. O'Leary was called "she" and then used "his" in the possessive form when talking about her owner...if that makes any sense...), this doesn't detract from the story. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next book!!!

No comments: