Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two): Rick Riordan


"After a summer spent trying to prevent a catastrophic war between the Greek gods, Percy Jackson's seventh grade school year seems unnervingly quiet. His biggest problem is dealing with his new friend, Tyson--a six-foot-three, mentally challenged homeless kid who follows Percy everywhere, making it hard for Percy to have any "normal" friends.

"But things don't stay quiet for long. Percy soon discovers that there is trouble at Camp Half Blood: the magical borders that protect Half-Blood Hill have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and the only safe haven for demigods is on the verge of being overrun by mythological monsters. To save the camp, Percy needs the help of his best friend, Grover, who has been taken prisoner on an island somehere in the Sea of Monsters, the dangerous waters Greek heroes have sailed for millennia. Only today, the Sea of Monsters goes by a new name...The Bermuda Triangle.

"Percy must retrieve the Golden Fleece from the Island of the Cyclopes by the end of the summer or Camp Half Blood will be destroyed. But first, Percy will learn a stunning new secret about his family--one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke."

Well...I read this book in two days...so that has to tell you how much I enjoyed it! It was just as fun as the first one, but it had some new faces to enjoy. There were twists and turns and a lot of action that I've come to expect from Rick Riordan. The mythology that was involved was vivid and fun. It kept me totally enthralled! I really enjoy the commentary and language. They're light-hearted, but manage to allow me to escape into the world of Percy Jackson.

It was nice to see some familiar faces, but the new ones were interesting as well. Tyson was great. He added a whole new dimension to the story--making that readers realize that the gods hands control more than just Percy and his close demigod companions at Camp Half Blood.

I don't want to give anything away, but the ending really had a HUGE twist that I didn't see coming! You should look forward to it because it's a big one!!! (I'm excited because I've already started reading the third book!)

***This is officially my most-read post of 2010! With nearly 1,000 hits, my review of The Sea of Monsters was only published in June has leapt far ahead of any other book in this blog. I've been reading the stats, but I'd love to know if this is because of the book series (which makes me wonder why the other Percy Jackson books are lagging so far behind in hits), or if this one is coincidentally stumbled upon the most. I know the review of this book in particular is lacking, so it can't be the fact that it's particularly thrilling. If you all out there in the world of the internet would like a more in-depth review, just tell me and I would be more than happy to oblige! Leave a comment or drop a line. I'll be sure to respond! We'll see what 2011 will bring (and I'm planning on upping the amount of books I add to this blog, so I am really interested in seeing how the blog hits pan out). Have a very Happy New Year everyone! See you in 2011!***

No comments: