Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One): Rick Riordan


"PERCY JACKSON is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he'd angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

"Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of a betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves."

My aunt was reading this book because her daughter had loved it so much. When she finished it, she gave it to me and told me that I would enjoy it. Well...I did!

When the movie adaptation of this book came out, I was interested, but I never ended up seeing it. Now, however, I'm definitely going to have to try to get my hands on it. (I certainly hope it's at least half as good as the book.) The characters were very well-written, carefully planned, and interesting--though a little young in my opinion to undertake such tasks as they did in the book (I know, I know, they're children of the gods...they have abilities that we don't and are fully capable of such things...but not all of the twelve-year-olds that I've met!) Percy and his friends were mature beyond their years and, though I occasionally stopped and wondered if a twelve-year-old would be capable of doing such a thing or thinking a certain way, this really kept the plot moving. I don't think I could have handled it if it dragged on and on with a whiny, confused twelve-year-old narrator. Instead, Percy kept everything flowing and the way that the story was written definitely maintained a fast pace.

Something else that was note worthy was the way the author incorporated Percy's dyslexia and ADHD into his heritage. This was creative--though a blatant way of getting in touch with all of the kids that have ADHD and dyslexia. It was cute, but personally bothered me a little because how many more kids are going to want to not pay attention and claim they have these because they want to be part god? (Can you tell I think ADHD is over diagnosed? I'm NOT saying that it doesn't exist, just that there are way too many kids that either claim to have it and haven't bothered to be diagnosed, yet use it as a huge excuse (I can name several...) and parents who can't handle their children and look for anything to blame BUT themselves. However, I will get off that controversial topic and back to the review. Sorry!)

The modern descriptions of the gods were really neat. In fact, if you like this style and sort of mythological background (and you're a bit more mature than the regular reading demographic of this book), and you like a bit of romance; you should totally check out Sherrilyn Kenyon's DARK-HUNTER SERIES. It's similar to this and the gods are just as interesting. You can find more information and a reading order if you look up "Sherrilyn Kenyon" or "Dark-Hunter Series" on my blog.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next in the series. I'll attach a review of the movie as soon as I see it.

No comments: