Friday, June 4, 2010

The Stanforth Secrets (Renfrew/Kyle, Book One/Two): Jo Beverley




"It has fallen to Chloe, the widowed Lady Stanforth, to manage the affairs of Delamere Hall. Though she loves her grand house by the sea, a series of puzzling and inexplicable incidents over the past year has left her unsettled and eager. Her situation is complicated by the arrival of the new Lord Stanforth, her husband's cousin, for whom she has long harbored a deep and guilty attraction.

"Newly returned from the war, Justin Delamere hopes he can finally woo Chloe. But he is ordered to search Delamere Hall for missing documents--documents that might prove Chloe guilty of treason, and perhaps even of murder. Can he trust the woman he has always desired? And can Chloe surrender her most private secrets to the man who holds her fate in his hands--the fate of both her freedom and her heart?"

***The website I usually go to to find the order of books that an author has written states that this should be the first book in this series. However, Jo Beverley's site (and in the back of the newer edition of this book) states that this is actually the second in this series. I guess this is up to you to decide! I think I liked reading this book first because it was like "square one". If you read LORD WRAYBOURNE'S BETROTHED first, then you'll know what happens to at least one of the characters. Though this is how Beverley wrote them, I think I preferred reading this one first--that way, I could enjoy it without and preconceptions about the characters. Again, it's up to you to decide!***

Now, for the actual review! I was excited to read a book by this author. I kept coming across her books and seeing others reading them. When I finally got a hand on the "first" books in one of her series, I couldn't wait to pick it up. After some slight confusion over which book was which, I enjoyed it.

The characters were really interesting and fun! Randal has to be one of my favorites yet. What was cool was the fact that they remained secretive and this really helped the plot remain interesting. I liked how there was so many mysteries. The book was really well-written and kept me interested. Normally this type of story doesn't interest me as much as this one did. Overall, I loved the story and the language.

However, I will let you all know that this is not like a regular "romance novel"; it's more of a "love story". (You can read and find out for yourselves what I mean.) This didn't discourage me from reading more of Beverley's works. I liked this short, but sweet, story :)

No comments: