Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Crystal Cave (The Arthurian Saga, Book One): Mary Stewart

"Born the bastard son of a Welsh princess, Myridden Emrys--or as he would later be known, Merlin--leads a perilous childhood, haunted by portents and visions. But destiny has great plans for this no-man's-son, taking him from prophesying before the High King Vortigern to the crowning of Uther Pendragon...and the conception of Arthur--king for once and always."

This was my aunt's favorite series when she was a teenager--so much so that she reread it in college and has gotten the entire series for her eleven-year-old daughter. Naturally (being the Arthurian freak that I am) I stole the books before my cousin could even get her hands on them and decided that I would read them :) (Don't feel too bad for her...she was reading another book and had to finish that one first anyway.) I ended up falling in LOVE with this book!!! It was beautiful! The writing captured me and held me fast.

As for Merlin...there are hardly words to describe how much I love his character. There is this hunting mystery about him. The author was wise enough to reveal enough about him, but not too much so you're kept absolutely fascinated. I just wanted more, more, more! The ending was so enthralling that I was relieved I had the second book sitting right next to me. I don't know what I would have done had I been forced to wait to read it!

Each character--no matter how small--was complex. I'm truly so impressed that Stewart was able to do so without becoming long-winded. It was brilliant to take this story from Merlin's point of view. It added twists and complexity that I believe only a few authors would have been able to handle. Keeping true to history was a marvelous decision on Stewart's part. It made everything come alive rather than simply relying on fantasy and magic. Everything seemed more real.

Overall, I adore Stewart's work. Her writing is as timeless and magical as the black hills of Wales and the story of a wizard who would make an orphan into the greatest king of all.

No comments: