Monday, October 25, 2010

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: Lewis Carroll

"Weary of her storybook, one "without pictures or conversations," the young and imaginative Alice follows a hasty hare underground--to come face-to-face with some of the strangest adventures and most fantastic characters in all of literature. The Ugly Duchess, the Mad Hatter, the weeping Mock Turtle, the diabolical Queen of Hearts, the Cheshire Cat--each more eccentric than the last--could only have come from the master of sublime nonsense, Lewis Carroll. In penning this brilliant burlesque of children's literature, this farcical satire of rigid Victorian society, this arresting parody of the fears, anxieties, and complexities of growing up, Carroll was one of the few adult writers to enter successfully the children's world of make-believe, where the impossible becomes possible, the unreal, real, and where the heights of adventure are limited only by the depths of imagination."

Again, this was a book I had to read for my Children's Literature class. I used to LOVE the Disney adaptation of this book...but the actual writing may have ruined that for me. Had I read this book as a child, I think I would have thought differently, but this was the first time I read the real Alice. It was actually pretty disturbing. It was all over the place and strange and odd and...just...weird. I think that's the real reason I didn't enjoy this--because I read it as a 20-year-old and not a ten-year-old. My mind felt slightly scrambled and then nuked before I was finished. Though I think the real problem happened when I was able to begin to grasp what the Hare and Hatter were saying... Now THAT'S a problem...

Anyway, this was an...interesting book... I didn't love it, but it was a part of my childhood. You have to give a little bit of admiration to the author for writing such a work.

No comments: