Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Hollow Hills (Book Two, The Arthurian Saga): Mary Stewart

"Keeping watch over the young Arthur Pendragon, the prince and prophet Merlin Ambrosius is haunted by dreams of the magical sword Caliburn, which has been hidden for centuries. When Uther Pendragon is killed in battle, the time of destiny is at hand, and Arthur must claim the fabled sword to become the true High King of Britain."

To put it plain and simple: I LOVE this series! I am a huge King Arthur fanatic and this book really makes me feel connected to the tale. I love the history that Stewart incorporated into her eloquent storytelling and the descriptions--oh the descriptions!--are absolutely beautiful. This truly is a one-of-a-kind series that drags you in with the claws of the Pendragon emblem and holds you there as if in one of Merlin's trances. It's as if Stewart has channelled the real Merlin and told his story.

The story rings true of the real tale with a dash of actual history and an underlying of truly beautiful writing. Mary Stewart has solidified herself in my list of favorite authors because of this. Her characters are so real I can hear their voices and feel as if I'm in the chamber or forest with them; listening to the foretelling of a great king or speaking with the ancient people of the woods. I can smell, taste, hear, and feel everything with them. There is a quality to Stewart's writing where you can't help but become enthralled. Maybe she's cast a spell of her own on her writing to make it as addictive as your favorite sweet.

Unfortunately, school is in full-swing and I've had to really cut down on my reading--which is why there has been such a gap between books lately. Hopefully, I'll find a better rhythm when this semester is over and I'm not forced to read children's books each week! I really wish I could read the next in this series, but--alas!--Arthur must wait...

No comments: