Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Great Gilly Hopkins: Katherine Paterson

Unfortunately, because I've been reading so much for school (between my reading-intensive Children's Literature and Russian History classes...among other things) I haven't had much time to read anything else. I really miss reading for pleasure and hope to get back to it as soon as possible (not to mention I promised to read some books and review them...haven't had enough time to finish those either. That's what you get when you move halfway across the country for school and have to get several jobs in order to pay for everything--including a car!!!)

Anyway, as you probably guessed, this was another of the books that was forced upon me for my children's literature class. It certainly wasn't one of my favorites, but it was a quick read. The characters were well-written, but the story didn't capture me as much as I would have liked. It was actually pretty sad. I know I'm looking into the book more deeply than an elementary student would, but I think it would still be confusing and a little depressing for anyone. I've not read any of this author's other works, but I've heard they're all similar in this manner. Would I read it again? No. Would I recommend it to a child? Probably not. Did I like this book? No...and yes. Parts of this book were decent, but I didn't end up being a fan. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

No comments: