Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Harriet the Spy: Louise Fitzhugh

Yet again...a book I had to read for my Children's Literature class. I knew there would be books that I liked and others...not so much...but I'm about ready to beg for one that I'll like!

This book wasn't one that was poorly written (there were aspects that you can appreciate more the older you are), but the problem for me was the fact that I didn't really care. I didn't like reading about Harriet. She actually annoyed me. The writing was too monotonous and there was a way about it that it was too complex for the reading age it was aimed for (with the subtleties of mental illness and regression) and--when you surpass this age group, it isn't even interesting any longer. It's like a catch 22. If you enjoy the story, more power to you; but I personally could not stand this book and barely finished it in time for my quiz.

No comments: